Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Inglis Bridge over River Monnow
Providing access from Mill Walk to Militia Fields at Vauxhall, Monmouth.
Military bridge. Erected by the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers in 1931 and refurbished by the same regiment in 1998. Associated with the military camp at Vauxhall. Adjacent interpretation panel erected by the Institute of Civil Engineers in 2008 to commemorate the centenary of the founding of the Territorial Army.
The First World War led to a rapid development of all forms of military bridging. Professor Sir Charles Inglis served as an officer in the Royal Engineers during the First World War and invented a lightweight, portable and reusable steel bridge. Designed for rapid erection and deployment in combat conditions, it has prefabricated component parts and could be easily assembled in multiples of 15ft long sectional bays up to a maximum of 90ft in length with the minimum of mechanical assistance.
Mark II Inglis bridge utilising masonry abutments of an earlier wooden bridge. The Inglis bridge measures 90ft in length and comprises a single span and square section structure, formed from parallel longitudinal stringers, transoms, 9ft 6in wide wooden deck and upper and lower lateral bracing. The sides are constructed from equal length tubular sections that are pinned into cast sockets to create a Warren Girder through truss bridge.
Reason for designation
Listed for its special historic interest as a very rare example of an extant Inglis bridge and the only one known to be still in public use. Complete and with very little subsequent alteration, it represents an important stage in the design and development of temporary military bridging. A pioneering design in its own right, it was the precursor and inspiration for the better known Bailey Bridge of the Second World War.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]