Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Name of Property
Walled Garden at Garth Farm and Heylin Farm
Approx. 250m SE of the farm buildings of Garth Farm and Heylin Farm, adjacent to the A490.
Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Probably first constructed early C18. It likely pre-dates the early C19 JC Loudon phase of rebuilding at Garth, probably being built at the same time as the brick Georgian house that was constructed c1717 when the Mytton family acquired the estate. Shown on the on the 1842 Tithe map largely in its current form but with features such as an internal E-W dividing wall which has since been lost (demolished by the District Council in the 1980s). Curving corners incorporated in the NE and NW suggesting that the walling there had been used to grow fruit. The OS map of 1885 shows a structure, presumably a glasshouse, in the NE corner but it had been lost by 1903. The same map also shows periphery paths around the inside of the walls. The garden probably declined with the estate after WWI and was abandoned during the 1950s after the 1947 demolition of the house. When the parkland was inspected for the Parks &Gardens register some of the walling was noted to be partially collapsed with some sections of walling standing at 2.5m in height. The walling has since been rebuilt with the capping restored.
Walled garden, rectangular aligned E-W south facing on a sloping site. Constructed of red brick, its walling survives full height with stone capping intact. Ramped drop in height at mid point of the E and W side walls. Plain external pilasters. N wall heated with evidence of boiler structures against the N side noted when inspected for inclusion in the Parks & Garden register. Curving corners to the NE and NW, a service door is also located near to each of these corners (door to the NW retained a wooden door at the time of the P&G inspection). Formal doorway central in the S wall with 4-centred arch. The internal E-W dividing wall is no longer visible but the remains of stone steps at the E side were visible when inspected in 2017. Single storey lean-to shed in SW corner, roofless but previously roofed in corrugated iron.
Reason for designation
Included for its special architectural interest as a good surviving example of an early C18 walled garden that has survived largely intact. Group value with the nearby farm buildings.
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]