Full Report for Listed Buildings
Summary Description of a Listed Buildings
Date of Designation
Date of Amendment
Name of Property
Set on a wooden rise facing south towards the River Lugg.
Composition of centre block with lower set back a symmetrical U-plan. Main 2 storey 3 window block with early C19 stucco front, hipped slate roof with end stacks, wide eaves, blind arches to outer ground floor bays. Sash windows with glazing bars in recessed timber frames, later glazed porch to centre of front. Set-back stucco wings with hipped slate roofs detailed as before, plus 5-bay arched ground floor treatment (under glazed verandah to right). The right hand wing (extended in 1872) has a 5 bay side elevation, partly 1 storey, with Gothic glazing bars to sash windows and solid porch.
Rear library extension added 1812-15 by Robert Smirke for Sir Harford Jones Brydges. Elongated red brick octagon wth top-lighting only. The interior (reached through a domed anti-room) has a coffered central dome and others with fleur-de-lys ornament, plaster cornice with egg and dart and foliage frieze.
Reason for designation
Cadw : Full Report for Listed Buildings [ Records 1 of 1 ]