Scheduled Monuments- Full Report
Summary Description of a Scheduled Monument
Vale of Glamorgan
St. Nicholas and Bonvilston
Summary Description and Reason for Designation
The following provides a general description of the Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The monument comprises the remains of a well preserved castle-ringwork, which dates to the medieval period (c. AD 1066 - 1485).
The site is situated on flat ground overlooking a small valley to the north-east, in a wood. It consists of a circular bank with external ditch. The interior is flat. On the north and west sides the ditch is 2m wide, with a flat bottom, and 1m high externally, 1.5 m high internally. There is no bank outside the ditch, and the bank on the inside is c. 0.5 m high. On the west side is a causeway 6 m wide across the ditch. On the south side the bank is higher - 2 m high externally and 0.7 m internally. On the east side the ground outside the ringwork slopes away to the valley, and there is a bank outside the ditch 5 m wide and 1 m high, with a berm outside it 1.5 m wide and 0.6 m high. The main bank is 2 m high externally and 0.6 m high internally along this side. The external bank stops at the north end where the ringwork curves around to the west, away from the slope. Half-way along the east side is a narrow gap, 1 m wide, through both banks.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement, organisation and defence. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. It is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Cadw : Scheduled Monuments- Full Report [ Records 1 of 1 ]