Scheduled Monuments- Full Report
Summary Description of a Scheduled Monument
Summary Description and Reason for Designation
The following provides a general description of the Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The monument comprises the remains of a castle-ringwork which dates to the medieval period (c. AD 1066 - 1485). It is located approximately 90m south-west of the parish church of St Andrew. The ringwork forms a banked oval enclosure and measures approximately 40m by 30m. Excavation in 1927 found the remains of wooden stakes under the bank.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement, organisation and defence. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. It is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Cadw : Scheduled Monuments- Full Report [ Records 1 of 1 ]