Scheduled Monuments- Full Report
Summary Description of a Scheduled Monument
Moated Site South of Moynes Court
Date of Designation
Summary Description and Reason for Designation
The following provides a general description of the Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The monument comprises the remains of a well-preserved medieval moated homestead. The site consists of a rectangular platform measuring approximately 55m E/W by 50m, enclosed on the S and W sides by a 3m wide flat bottomed ditch and a 2m high outer bank. On the N side the site is bounded by a 1m high scarp while on the E side there is no visible earthwork. The site is located adjacent to Moynes Court, which was built by Bishop Godwin of Llandaff in 1609, and it is likely that the moated site represents the location of the earlier Bishops manor. Tile fragments of 14th and 15th century date were found on the site in the early 20th century, and these are now held by Chepstow Museum.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement. The monument is well preserved and is an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of intact archaeological deposits and structural evidence.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Cadw : Scheduled Monuments- Full Report [ Records 1 of 1 ]